Sunday, May 12, 2013

I am not a single mom!


Just because I sleep alone at night, does not qualify me as being a single mom. For the past 4 years, I’ve been claiming to be a single mom. After this week, I’m fully admitting, that I, am not a single mom.

My parents have been in Hawaii for the past week. I’ve always recognized how much my parents do for me, but this past week has made me realize the extent of what they do to help me out. Monday night, both boys had a baseball game. Gunners was at 5:30. Seeing how I work, and usually till 5:00, my mom or dad will get my kids to their games for their early warm up, 45 minutes before game time. Luckily, I was able to arrange other help to get Gunner there early this week. I left work a few minutes premature Monday, to try and get to Gunners game on time. Traffic was horrible and I still had to pick Carter up to get him ready for his game. By 5:32 I’d made it to Carter, he quickly changed; we grabbed his gear, and headed to G’s game. I was only 15 or so minutes late to Gunners game, but because of the frantic stress of “running late” and having a few things to do before I could get to the fields, relax, and watch the games; I was feeling exceptionally sorry for myself that I had to be a working mom that day, which is pathetic, I know.

At least 3 days a week, my mom picks my boys up from school, helps them with their homework, and entertains them or shuffles them to their activities that begin before I get home at 5:30.. She does it without hesitation, and her only complaint(s) is that I (more often than not) remember the boys have something, 15 minutes before they need to be there, and call frantically asking if she can get my boys somewhere that takes 5 minutes to get to, in 3. But even then, instead of saying “tough luck!” she gets them where they need to be.

My poor parents have dealt with my lack of planning for 29 years. I am what you call, “gloriously unorganized.” I rarely make plans, but eventually, I end up being where I need to be. I believe God designed me to be a celebrity that requires an assistant following them around and giving them a play by play of their schedule for the day. Unfortunately, my career in sports, modeling, and acting, never took off, so my salary doesn’t really have the means for an assistant at that level. So I’ve got my mom instead, who basically pays to be my assistant… (talk about the shi* end of the stick!)  

My mom is one of the kindest, funniest people I have ever met. She is always willing to serve others, including strangers. I can only pray I end up being half the woman she is when I "grow up". She is, without a doubt, my best friend. 

With any hope, my two boys are going to be great men because of the so called village it is taking to raise them. I realize this is a sappier post than normal, but having to actually be a “single mom” this week, has made me exceptionally grateful for the support I have all around me. I was blessed with parents much greater than I deserve most days, and I would hate to let life go by without expressing my appreciation for them enough.  (Plus, I really like the blog to get hits, so if I make a post sappy and about my parents, maybe it will get more…)

Thank you for all you do for me, Mom and Dad! Maybe in 29 more years, I can repay you and change your diapers ;) (Who am I kidding, I’ll just pick which nursing home to put you in.)

p.s. Mom, can this count as a Mother’s Day gift? If so… Happy Mother’s Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment