Wednesday, April 13, 2011

2 Witty Boys and a Crazy Driver (me)

My kids are pretty witty, I know they get it from me and not their dad, but due to legal purposes, I won’t get into my reasoning behind this. A few months back the boys and I were driving in my car and singing along to the greatest song on earth, “Don’t Stop Believing” by Journey. I was belting “just a small town girl!!!! Livin in a LONELY woorrrlldd” at the top of my lungs, when my 8 year old says: “mom, why don’t you sing the girl part, and I’ll sing the boy part?” I paused for a brief moment and replied: “there is no girl part Carter…” without skipping a beat, Carter replies: “EXACTLY!” It’s pretty pathetic when even my kids realize I have no talent when it comes to singing. Or dancing, cooking… Driving etc. etc..…. Poor kids. It’s amazing they are (somewhat) normal.  

My oldest Carter is diabetic so sometimes life on the go can get a little tricky when we have to eat on the run. The boys and I had grabbed food on our way to the baseball park the other day. Diabetics get insulin for every carbohydrate they eat, so a hamburger, French fries, frosty and a root beer leaves his body screaming for a shot of insulin if he’s going to function as a normal human being for the rest of the day. He handed me his insulin and a syringe. I begin to draw up insulin in a syringe as I’m driving down the road while balancing the steering wheel on my knee, (which I often do because heaven forbid I wake up on time to put my makeup on BEFORE getting in the car to drive to work! I value my sleep!!) As I’m skillfully performing a one man circus act in the driver seat of my Honda beater, Carter says “MOM!! Watch the road! Can’t you just drive like a normal person?” I’m thinking in my head “seriously kid? You should be impressed with these skills!” But before I can choke out some smart aleck remark, Gunner says “Uhh… Carter… You’re kind of asking a lot there!” I can’t even get defensive. It’s true, I am a horrible driver, hints the reason my car looks as if it has been entered into the Riverton City Demolition Derby 4 years in a row! I have however, (for 3 straight days now) been focusing a little more on my driving so the two back seat drivers will kindly keep their mouths closed!

No comments:

Post a Comment