Monday, April 18, 2011

Where is Hawaii??

Some people are particularly passionate  about Geography, I don’t want to judge, but I think those people are boring. Due to my lack of interest on this topic, I can undeniably say I either; A. Slept through or B. wrote notes to my friends during these classes in school. I give partial credit to any passing grade I may have skimmed by with in Geography, to Marty Ellis -someone who actually cared about learning and worked hard for his grades- for letting me copy his homework and test answers. The rest of my passing grade came from my perfected schmoozing skills with the teachers. It’s hard not to give someone extra credit just for bringing in a favorite drink or candy bar when you’re as charming as myself. Arrogant of me to say? Probably, but this is a blog with morals! And by that, I mean a blog full of pure honesty! I’m sticking to my statement.

The reason for this post is simply this: I didn’t care about those things then, and I still don’t 10 years later. (Did I just age myself? If so, I meant 4 years later!) Last year my best friend Lindsay and I decided to take a girls cruise to Cabo San Lucas, because we love the smell of cheap tequila and burning Cabana boy skin in the morning. Ok not really, it was the cheapest cruise porting out of San Diego at the time. About a week before I was leaving I was talking to a co worker about his trip the same week to Hawaii. He mentioned his plane would be flying over our cruise ship and maybe he’d drop the sewage on us as a gift from above. I looked at him all sorts of confused. “Why would your plane fly over us? We are leaving from San Diego, you’ll be going through Florida?!” I say.
As nicely as he could without pointing out I was a geographical disgrace to the teachers of Riverton High School, he replied “Hawaii is NOT by Florida Meg, it’s by California.” And then he proceeded to grab a map and give me a geography lesson to which I politely tuned out by singing “I’m in Miami Bit**” by LMFAO in my head. I may have done a little head/shoulder jig as he was talking too. I had Florida on my mind at this point, and what can I say? That song has a good beat that you can’t help but dance to. At least I knew Miami is in Florida!!

Needless to say, Geography?? Not my thing. Tuning out important information to help me later in life?? Now that’s something I’m good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment